Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Mom's Surgery and Recovery Update

My mom has been dealing with Diverticulitis for almost a year now, it would come and go but this past winter was the worst for her. She was in consistent pain and very uncomfortable, she had met with her doctor to discuss her options of how to live with this.  The doctor had provided a few options to try to see if anything would work before going down the road of surgery. My mom had tried everything and it still was not getting better, so she meet with her doctor again early this year to discuss the option of surgery and what it entailed. After the meeting and several questions were answered she had decided it was time to move forward with it and get it done.  I remember the phone call from my mom when she told me she was going to finally get it done, we discussed the dates, how long the surgery would take and all that was going to get done.  I knew in my heart that I wanted to be here for her and that it was important that I come and support her during this tough time.  After a family meeting with my husband and kids, I called my mom back and told her I was flying in for the procedure and staying to help out after she got home.  I felt confident that my family would be well taken care of and that I need to be with my mom to take care of her.

So I booked my flight and flew in last Tuesday night (4/2/17), I won't lie it was very tough leaving my family.  It was an emotional departure at the airport, but I knew they would be okay and it was only temporary.  My flight coming into Las Vegas was very long, stunk like smoke and had a lot of turbulence, by the time I landed I was ready for a drink or two and I don't drink.  Once I was off the plane I got a text message from my dad who lives in Canada that my grandmother had fallen and was on life support in the hospital.  I just stopped in the middle of the airport and started crying my eyes out.  My grandma was like a second mom to me, I was extremely close to her growing up.  We kept in touch for many years after I moved from Canada to the United States so not being there to see her was extremely difficult for me.  It was nice to see my step-dad at the airport who gave me a big hug after my emotional melt down at the hospital.  It was a rather long night to say the least as here I am in Vegas to help my mom with her surgery and then I get bad news about another relative so far away.  Wednesday was even harder, that was the day I got the news from family that my grandmother had no brain activity and would be removed from life support.  I know it was her time to pass and that she didn't want to be on life support, it was just so heart breaking to hear knowing how far away I was and not being able to say good bye to her.  I decided to write a nice tribute and posted it on Facebook as my way to grieve, I also found a really nice poem in honor of her that my aunt read at the service on behalf of all the grandchildren.  It was a very sad day for our family which took a lot out of me, I felt really bad and here I am suppose to be helping my mom with her pre-surgery and I'm an emotional wreck.  Wednesday was a big day for mom as it was the day before her surgery and she had a long list of things she had to do, drink and prepare for the next day.  She basically had to cleanse and clear anything out of her body to prevent any complications.

Thursday morning arrived, much of us didn't get sleep as we were nervous.  Mom did a great job staying calm and kept her self busy.  We arrived at the hospital around 10am to get her checked in and prepped for surgery.  They took her back to pre-op around 10:30am, which Bill, Sam and I waited in the waiting room.  We were told we could see her right before surgery.  Mom was originally scheduled at 11:30am however it got pushed back as the OR room was not ready, so it got rescheduled for 12:30pm.  We finally got to see her around 11:30am and hang out with her in the pre-op before they took her back, we spoke with the nurse, anesthesiologist and her doctor.  The entire procedure was going to take about 4 hours and was done robotically that is why we had to wait for that specific OR room as there was only one of those in the hospital.  Once mom went back the boys as I decided to stay at the hospital and wait.  We went down to the cafeteria had some lunch, then went back to the waiting room and just sat their watching the same news channel for hours.  I think we even got loopy from being there that long.  The doctor finally came out just after 4pm and told us that everything went well and mom did great.  Now she was expected to be in the hospital for 5 to 7 days depending on how she was feeling and when she could pass gas.  At this point she was in post-op which we all took turns seeing her until she was moved to her own room, that didn't happen until after 11:30pm.  What a long and exhausting day it was for all of us especially mom.

Friday through Monday mom was placed in ICU due an epidural that was placed in her lower back, they kept her on that due to the pain of the surgery.  She was a trooper, she was confined to her bed most of the time there.  The nurses were amazing, they took great care of her and said she was one of their favorite patients.  Her doctor made daily check up visits to make sure she was ok and everything looked good.  We all took turns visiting and keeping her company during her stay, with all the medications she was on we all had a great time with lots of laughs and just being silly.  I'm surprised we all didn't get kicked out.

Mom was finally released yesterday and was able to come home, we were all very excited as she was ready to get out of what she called the "Summerlin In" and be in her own house and in her own bed.  The doctor was very pleased with the progress she made and everything seemed to be working the way it should so there was no reason to keep her in the hospital.  She is now home resting and relaxing as much as she can.

I'm very thankful to my wonderful husband and two daughters for giving me up for 8 days so I could spend time with mom during this tough time.  I enjoyed the time with my brother and step-dad as we all kept each other in check.  I enjoyed spending time with mom in the hospital and keeping her entertained.  It has been a very long week both emotionally and physically but this is where I needed to be.  I will be going home tomorrow to see my family and I can't wait, I miss them all very much even my crazy dog Kona.  We thank you all for the support through Facebook, text messages and phone calls from family and friends, my mom really appreciates the support and love.  That has truly helped with her healing and recovery.  Now it's just going to take time until she is back to 100% but she is a strong women and will be back to her normal self in no time.  Love you mom and so proud of you, thank you Bill and Sam for not kicking me out and putting up with me during my stay.  It was a good visit but I can't wait to come back when it's a normal vacation.  Love you all!!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you came to be with your dear mom during this trying time for her. I know your presence was a calming and welcome one! I really enjoyed seeing you again too! Next time you visit for fun, we all need to go out and play. Wishing you safe travels home tomorrow. Give the girls a big hug for me, and say to Richard! xoxo, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cindy. It was a successful visit and I'm glad mom is out of the hospital and recovering. It's been nice being back home and on a normal schedule. It was nice to see you and thank you for the amazing apple pie, it was delicious.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to "Family" Chantelle. Hugs and kisses for your kids & Richard & Kona too. Thank you for your sacrifice to care for your Mom. We love you. xoxxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure, I'm glad I was there to support her. My family survived without me but they sure did miss me when I got home. Xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  3. My dearest daughter Chantelle....only YOU could write such a beautiful blog of the goings on before, during and after my surgery...as I don't remember a lot of it! We all appreciated that you took the time to come to Vegas and help not only me but "the boys" as well. You are very entertaining when you get together with Sam and your step-dad....love family!! My recovery is going well....as I need to "retrain" my colon and introduce foods slowly. I am confident in time I will recover fully, but will have to "learn" to avoid certain foods that may trigger this all over again. Thank you my dear daughter for your love and care! Thank you Bill and Sam for your never ending love and care for me as well! ...and to all my dear friends for your support, prayers as I could not have done this without ALL of YOU...much love...Gale (Grandma Vegas) XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete

Weekly Food Menu - 1.15.24 to 1.21.24 (Clean Eating)

Healthy Eating Weekly Food Menu Monday: 1/15/24 Meal 1: Chocolate Chip Banana Baked Oatmeal Recipe Link:  https://cleanfoodcrush.com/chocola...