Wednesday, February 28, 2018

It Starts with Food - Whole30 Challenge


It has been rather tough this new year with the flu season, both my husband and daughter caught the flu and were down for weeks, the whole month of February were a bust for our family.  I was completely terrified that my younger daughter and I would get it, how could we not as there were germs all over my house.  I was taking Airborne daily plus all my vitamins to try and stay healthy but my diet was not so clean and healthy.  After our guests left I really stressed my self out to the point that I ended up making my self sick with a nasty head cold which turned into a sinus infection.  This time my sinus infection stayed with me for about two weeks which made me absolutely miserable but life can't stop as mom, I had to pick my self up and still take care of my daily responsibilities. 

During this time I had done some research about allergies, colds and sinus infections as I seem to get them way more than I should.  That is when I began to read "It Starts with Food" by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig, I had tried this program several years ago but without really reading the book and failed after a few day's.  I just couldn't do it without sugar and all the foods I loved it eat, who in their right mind would cut all their favorite foods for 30 day's I surely was not up for the taste to do this.  So this time around I read the whole book and took the time to understand the background of the program and what I could do to change my view on food.  I have been on many diets my whole life and although many have worked for me I always seem to slip and go back to my old way's I can ever seem to stick to anything for long periods of time.  My issue is that if I don't see results immediately I will jump to the next "diet" and try that out which means I'm not giving my body enough time to adapt or adjust, I'm at a point where I need to reset my whole body cut out all the crap and trigger foods that have gotten me to where I am now and basically start over.  

I decided it was time to make a change for several reasons, it's never easy to admit when you have a problem and figure out how to solve or fix the problem.  I just want to be healthy for my self and my family and not feel like food is controlling my life, my emotions and my body.  I absolutely love running and competing in triathlons but food has always played a huge part in how I train and although I thought I ate healthy I never hit my goal weight I had set for my self and that's cause I was not consistent with my nutrition.   I have done a lot of reading and research on health and fitness, it's a huge passion of mine and has been for a while.  I love to cook healthy meals for my family and enjoy working out but I have yet to combine them together at the same time.  This next 30 day's will be my ultimate test to combine healthy wholesome food with exercise which for me will be focused on my running to see real results.  I know it's going to be a rough road especially that it's a big change but how will I ever grow if we don't challenge ourselves, what I'm doing now is not working and it's affecting many aspects of my life so why not change and try something new.  I have nothing to lose at this point and a lot to gain.  

My goals for the next 30 days are:
  • Get rid of the sugar dragon for good
  • Enjoy what I'm eating
  • Gain more energy
  • Learn better habits eating better foods
  • Share this experience with my family
  • Move towards getting healthy and losing weight  
  • See positive changes with my running goals
  • See results when weight training
  • Prove to my self I can stick with something longer than 1 week
  • Daily check-in's with my support team
  • Build my confidence 
  • Not live on a "diet" for the rest of my life
Today begins my 30 day journey, I have many mixed emotions moving forward but I'm excited most of all to see how things go.  I'm thankful for my husband and children for supporting me during this crazy time as well as my sister-in-law Melissa who is also embarking on this journey with me and for all my other family members who will be checking-in with me during the next month.  Having a huge support system will make a world of difference.  Now it's time to walk the talk and get my life back under control feeling happy and healthy....let the journey begin.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weekly Food Menu - 1.15.24 to 1.21.24 (Clean Eating)

Healthy Eating Weekly Food Menu Monday: 1/15/24 Meal 1: Chocolate Chip Banana Baked Oatmeal Recipe Link:  https://cleanfoodcrush.com/chocola...