Sunday, February 18, 2018

Life is about making positive changes...



I'm always looking to find new way's to improve my overall health, for those who really know me I have struggled my whole life with being over weight and finding a balance between eating healthy and working out.  I have been on many programs from Weight Watchers, Vegetarian, Vegan, Paleo, Low Carb and Clean Eating.  They all have worked for a period of time but then I slip back into old ways and whatever I lose I end up gaining right back.  I can be a very driven person when I set my mind to it, however I always feel like life gets in the way and I get sabotaged some how or some way.  I'm a very organized person who loves to make and follow plans, I create my own weekly food menu using spreadsheets and posting on my blog and I love following workout training plans to help keep me on track but then something comes up where I miss a workout or I eat off my plan and feel so guilty so instead of jumping back on I completely go off everything.  It's sound weird and unusual I know but this is what I have been struggling with my whole life. 

I have been dealing with bad allergies and constant head colds that usually turn into Sinus Infections since late last fall, every time I get sick I have to take time off my training and usually my nutrition is not good which means I have to start all over again when I'm better.  I can't seem to figure out what is triggering my bad allergies or getting sick all the time but it's draining and really frustrating to say the least.  During this last cold (that I'm still fighting) I have been doing some reading and research as to why I'm more susceptible to getting sick, I thought I ate healthy but something is causing my immune system to break down.  Ever since I have moved to Texas I have never in my life dealt with allergies or this many colds, most people who have moved here have all told me this is normal and it can take time for the body to adjust to the weather swings here along with all the different types of trees, flowers and grass that comes along with fall and spring allergy seasons.  I do believe that is true however I also believe what I'm putting in my body can also affect why and how I'm getting such bad allergies but I haven't really looked at it too closely until now.  

I started reading Dallas and Melissa Hartwig's famous book "It Starts with Food" who Discovered the program Whole30, I had skimmed through it once before but never really gave it any thought after that to be honest, not because I didn't care but because I thought the program would be way too hard.  Giving up sugar, dairy, legumes and grains for 30 day's sounded impossible and outright crazy, who in their right mind would do such a thing plus those were all the things I loved to eat.  I'm not a huge meat eater so the fact of eating lots of meat, vegetables, fruit and healthy fat's didn't exactly sound appealing to me at the time.  It wasn't until I had done some more reading recently which talked about resetting your body and going back to basics, after reading that article a member from one of my running groups happen to post at the extract time about how she completed her first Whole30 program and absolutely loved it.  She needed to reset and wanted to improve her overall running during this time.  She had nothing but amazing things to say, which then lead me to the Whole30 website and reading the entire "It Starts with Food" book (which I'm half way through at the moment).  At this point I'm looking for a  reset from all the things that have trigged me to go off my previous meal plans sugar, bad carbs, cheese, sweets, pizza and ice cream no matter how I tweak them to try and make a better version it still comes down to the fact that these foods have done nothing good for me, they have only made me gain weight and feel guilty which is why I call them "trigger"  foods.  What I need to do is eliminate them all together for a period of time and see how I feel.  My passion for running and training for triathlons is a huge part of me and I need to learn how to balance my workouts with my nutrition in order to maximize my full potential.  


I'm ready to change and step out of my comfort zone, I'm ready to try something new as what I'm doing now isn't' working and the only person who can change me is "ME".  I sometimes read too much and listen to others too much which makes me question my self and if what I'm doing is correct or the right way, I just need to trust my self and focus on what I'm doing.  I need to make a commitment for 30 day's to get my body reset and my life back on track in the right direction, my goal for this next week is to finish reading the book and learn everything I can from the Whole30 website, print out the program, the Whole30 Approved food list and start creating my program.   I have one week to get prepared and ready as I will be starting my journey next Monday February 26th, I will take a few before pictures and weigh my self to see my overall stats, I will also post on my blog my weekly food menus, workouts and journals of how I'm doing during the program.  The best part is my sister-in-law Melissa has also committed to doing this with me so having her along for the ride will be awesome to help keep us both accountable and in check during the program.  I'm excited for the experience and to see what changes my body, mind and soul will go through.   





No comments:

Post a Comment

Weekly Food Menu - 1.15.24 to 1.21.24 (Clean Eating)

Healthy Eating Weekly Food Menu Monday: 1/15/24 Meal 1: Chocolate Chip Banana Baked Oatmeal Recipe Link:  https://cleanfoodcrush.com/chocola...